Monday, February 20, 2006

Middle Eastern Youth Today

I am glad that my friend Lebanon.Profile.(LP) who inspired me to start my blog sees that young Lebanese men and women can relate to my recent post ‘A Moment of Epiphany.’ I hope that individuals like LP start to dominate Arab youth today, especially in their mentality, outlook and perspectives.

LP and I have similar aspirations in providing our valuable expertise in the hope of bettering our nations. I echo all of LP’s comments and thoughts.

So far, I have found it rare to find young Middle Eastern men and women educated abroad who seek to return to their respective countries and offer their help. It is a sad reality but I am hopeful that the generations to come will produce wary Middle Eastern Western-educated individuals who are able and fully willing to make a change.

Recent events worldwide have sparked interest in the minds’ of young Arab individuals and sentiments of sympathy, apathy and disgrace have risen. LP and I have felt the urgency and the need to offer our assets, networks and connections.

We sympathized. We sympathized with the need for change, for the need for improvement and for the need to establish a gateway between the West and the East. Lebanon certainly needs more individuals such as LP and Egypt needs young educated individuals to realize that the country is at a turning point and that the proceeding elections can be crux of what the future of the country holds.

As LP said, I realized that my community is worthy of attention, promotion and love and thus writing this blog and laying my thoughts is the minimum I could do. I strongly feel that my education at the University of Chicago and my work experience will be an invaluable asset to my country and I certainly feel my social obligation.

Maybe it is not Gamal Abdel Nasser who is inspiring me to go back to Egypt per se, but his nationalism has certainly played a vital role. Whatever the reason might be, LP and I hope that it brings the best out of young Arabs – thoughts of optimism, perseverance and hope.

4 Comments:

Blogger Charles Malik said...

Thank you for the praise.

I think it is important to have inspirational figures, but I've been so disappointed in recent years that I've lost all hope in guidance from a leader.

It's now up to us.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your observations, I wish the Arab world today had more people with the similar, mentalities and outlooks.

12:49 AM  
Blogger The Egyptian Observer said...

@anonymous. Thank you for your encouraging remarks. I certainly feel an obligation to give back and to make a difference.

I really do hope that privliged and educated Arabs will start to feel the same way instead of merely putting the West on a pedestal.

The Arab world is profuse with culture, art, history, literature, music and the rest. These should be shown off to the world - one should start small and make a difference in their respective countries.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Egypt does need people like us to go back and pursue it before someone like bushybushy decides to find some unscrupulous reason to invade.

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator Blog Directory & Search engine